38 responses

1. Shelly
    March 14, 2012

Well I may have to try this recipe. I have in the past made my own bar soap but I have not tried to make liquid
    hand soap. I had a book but it was very complicated in its instructions, this looks like it would definitely be doable. Thanks for posting the recipe.

March 14, 2012

You are welcome, Shelly! This recipe was very easy. The hardest part was the waiting for it to set.

2. Patty
    March 15, 2012

So cool, sandra! I just may have to try this!

March 15, 2012

You should, Patty! It was super easy.

3. Gina H
    March 15, 2012

Looks like it made a lot, What did you end up storing it in?

March 15, 2012

Hi Gina!

It did make a whole gallon. We ended up storing it in a container my husband purchased from Menards, I think. We could have used a clean milk jug, but hubby wanted to use the container instead. The container comes with a lid that keeps it tightly sealed.

4. Erin @ My Mommy World
    March 15, 2012

This sounds so awesome! I will definitely have to try it out, especially since we are almost out of hand soap :) Thanks so much for sharing the recipe :)

March 15, 2012

Thanks, Erin!

It was SO easy. And it’s hard to beat a whole gallon of hand soap using only 3 ingredients.

5. Erin @ My Mommy World
    March 15, 2012

This sounds so awesome! I will definitely have to try it out, especially since we are almost out of hand soap. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe :)

6. Shelly @ Coupon Teacher
    March 15, 2012

Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday! My mother in law was trying to figure this out, so I can send it to her too!

March 15, 2012

Thanks, Shelly!

I hope your mother-in-law enjoys the recipe. :-)

7. Connie
    June 28, 2012

Hi – justy wondering where you got your labels for your soap.

July 6, 2012

Hi Connie,

Thanks for stopping by! I actually just recycled an old soap container in the picture for my first batch of soap. I now use reusable hand soap dispensers that my family can simply refill over and over again. We got the reusable/refillable soap dispensers on clearance at Target.

I found that using the dispensers also helps the soap to dispense less runny.

I’m looking forward to making another batch soon and thinking about creating a video to show how I make it. :-)

8. Janette
    February 3, 2013

Can’t wait to try this, but I have a silly question – where do you buy glyicerin at??

February 3, 2013

Hi Janette! That is totally not a silly question. :) I had the same question when I first wanted to make homemade soap. I’ve bought glycerin both at craft stores like Michael’s and at Hobby Lobby. Others say they’ve found it at the grocery store, but I haven’t been able to locate it there. Glycerin is pretty inexpensive, but it you buy it at Michael’s or another craft store, be sure to check that store’s ads for coupons.

9. Kayla
    February 9, 2013

1 Gallon of hand soap for under $5 is great; however, I do question it being very sanitary. You are taking one bar of soap, and diluting it with 1 gallon of water. Is this where the Glycerin comes in? How can I know my hands will be clean after washing them?

10. Lisa
    April 25, 2013

Can you suggest a good bar soap for this that is unscented? I make fragrance hand soaps by order and this would be great to replenish my gallon jug but i would want it unscented until i add to each smaller bottle…any suggestions?

11. Lesflo
    July 1, 2013

I bought my glycerin at CVS they carry it mostly in the beauty section by creams etc…

July 10, 2013

Thanks for letting me know! :) I have never checked at CVS, but it would probably be easier to buy it there than where we currently buy it.

12. Lesflo
    July 1, 2013

Also if you have a soap container that dispenses in a form of foam don’t through it away it changes your homemade soap into foam. The Glycerin I bought it at CVS Pharmacy by the beauty product section. Creams etc…

July 10, 2013

Another great tip. Thank you! I enjoy using foaming soaps, too.

13. Summer
    January 16, 2014

Do I need a special pot for this? I’m concerned about my soup pot being all soapy.

February 7, 2014

Hi Summer, no you don’t need a special pot to make the hand soap. Your soup pot will be just fine. :) I use our soup pot to make this soap, and it’s in great condition.

14. cris
    February 5, 2014

I made this, but it leaves a lot of residue on my sink. Any idea why or should I be using a different brand of soap?

Thanks

February 6, 2014

Hi Cris,

Thanks for stopping by. I would definitely try using a different brand of soap. I like Dr. Bonner’s bar soaps, but you could also try another organic/natural brand of soap that should work better. :)

15. Kayla
    February 8, 2014

I’m shocked you only use one bar of soap and use a gallon of water. Wouldn’t the gallon of water delude the anti-bacterial solution, and make it less effective for washing hands?

I would love to make hand soap though, and if my concerns are not valid, I will definitely be using this recipe :)

February 12, 2014

Hi Kayla, the gallon of water works great, but I don’t personally know about the anti-bacterial properties being deluded. I know that I use Dr. Bonners soap and have never had any issues. :)

16. Karen
    September 27, 2014

I would love to make this soap it looks pretty easy and economical, can I add essential oils to it like lemon or lavender to it?

September 27, 2014

Hi Karen! Yes, you can add essentials oils to this soap. :)

17. Kristen
    September 29, 2014

Does this need to be made with distilled water or is tap water ok? Looking forward to trying it. Thanks!

September 29, 2014

Hi Kristen! I recommend making this hand soap with distilled water. :)