Thanks to Bella and Crisp for the Mother’s Day Gift Ideas shared in this video. They sent me those products to review and share, and I’m enjoying using them in the kitchen. I use the Bella Ceramic Kettle every single day to make hot drinks, and I love it!
Hi, guys! Today, I’m sharing three Mother’s Day gift ideas for moms who love the kitchen plus a recipe tutorial on how to make strawberry shortcakes from scratch. You can find the strawberry shortcakes recipe below the video in this post as well as information on the Mother’s Day gift ideas shared in the video.
I hope you enjoy the video, as always, thanks for watching! 🙂
Here’s the Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe:
- 3 pounds of strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus extra for the counter
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I use fine Himalayan Pink Salt)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, measure out about 3 cups of strawberries and crush them with a potato masher.
- Slice the remaining strawberries and add them to the bowl with the crushed strawberries. Then add the sugar and orange juice, and stir the ingredients together. Once the ingredients are incorporated, place the strawberries in the refrigerator to chill.
- For the shortcakes, get the oven ready by adjusting the oven rack to the lower middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Pulse the flour, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, baking powder, and salt together in either a food processor or a Nurti Ninja with a blend and prep bowl just until they're combined.
- Add in the chunks of butter and pulse until the butter has been combined. Then transfer the ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix the almond milk with the whole egg that's been beaten. Then add those ingredients to the flour mixture in the large bowl. Gently stir the ingredients together just until incorporated, then turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Gently knead the dough by folding it onto itself 3 or 4 times. Then shape the dough into a small rectangle that's about 1-inch thick.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then using a biscuit cutter (or a circular 1-cup measuring cup), cut out 6 biscuits and place them on the parchment paper about 1-inch apart. You should have enough dough left over to make 2 more biscuits for a total of 8 biscuits.
- Once the 8 biscuits are on the baking sheet, brush the tops with the egg white and then sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar over the biscuits. Then place the biscuits in the oven and bake for about 14 minutes or until the shortcakes are golden brown.
- Once you remove the shortcakes from the oven, allow them to cool for 10 to 15 minutes while you make the whipped cream.
- For the whipped cream, place the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla extract in a chilled medium-sized bowl, and whip with an electric mixer on low speed for about 3-5 minutes. Whip until soft peaks form. Be very careful not to over-whip.
- To assemble the strawberry shortcakes, split a biscuit in half on a plate. Add a heaping spoon of the strawberries to the bottom half, then add a dollop of whipped cream to the strawberries. Place the top biscuit on top of the whipped cream and then add another heaping spoon of the strawberries over the top biscuit and another dollop of whipped cream to that. Repeat this step with the remaining biscuits. Serve and enjoy!
Here are the Mother’s Day gift ideas featured in the video:
What are some of your favorite desserts to make at home? What are some favorite kitchen items you love to use on a regular basis?