I love cornbread.
And I like it sweet.
Not too sweet, but with just the right amount of sweetness.
Don’t get me wrong, I like cornbread without sugar, too, but I much prefer it when it is delightfully sweet and prepared in a cast iron skillet.
Here’s my recipe:
- 8 tbs. (1 stick) Butter
- 3/4 Cup (plus 1 tsp. for sprinkling) Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tbs. Shortening
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees, and place cast iron skillet in the oven to heat.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Once melted, remove the butter from heat and whisk in sugar. Add eggs one at a time stirring the mixture after each one.
- Add the baking soda to the buttermilk and whisk. Once incorporated, add the buttermilk mixture to the saucepan with the other ingredients and stir.
- Whisk in cornmeal, flour, and salt to the mixture.
- Open the oven and remove cast iron skillet - very carefully! Add shortening to the cast iron skillet and wait until it melts. Then add the prepared cornbread batter to the cast iron skillet and place in oven.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before sprinkling with 1 tsp. of sugar.
I think you will really enjoy this recipe! It’s definitely a favorite in our home.
*Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com