Recipe: Best Ever Apple Pie (and recipe for a double pie crust)

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on Yummly

I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias®  and their client. #MyMarianos

Recipe: Best Ever Apple Pie & Double Pie Crust #MyMarianos #shop
Apple pie.

Every year we pay a visit to an apple orchard in Indiana and pick apples to bring home and use to create the most amazing apple pie. But this year, with everything that’s going on with David’s health, traveling far away from home to pick apples isn’t an option.

So instead, we did the next best thing. We headed to my favorite grocery store, Mariano’s, to pick fresh apples that ended up being perfect in our pie. Mariano’s actually has a huge assortment of apples to choose from, and finding the right ones to use for the pie was easy. I carefully selected the apples I needed for the recipe along with several more items on my grocery list. Then I looked through my purse for my Mariano’s rewards card and headed for the checkout lane.

Recipe for Apple Pie and Double Pie Crust #MyMarianos #shop

I always love shopping at Mariano’s because it’s more than just a grocery store. It’s an experience, and I can’t think of a better place to snag fresh apples (outside of an orchard) than Mariano’s. :)

Double Pie Crust
With any pie, you need to have a great crust, and the recipe I’m sharing for a double pie crust (since you need a top & bottom crust for an apple pie) is delicious! This crust has just the right balance of crunch around the edges, softness on the bottom, and sweetness, since we’re using it for an apple pie.

This is my go-to crust.

Recipe: Double Pie Crust - Perfect for Pies, especially apple pies! #MyMarianos #shopHere’s the recipe:

Double Pie Crust

• 2-1/2 cups flour
  • 2-1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 8 tablespoons vegetable shortening, well chilled (I put the shortening in the freezer for at least 15 to 20 minutes before using it in this recipe.)
  • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, well chilled and cut into 1-inch pieces (I put the butter into the freezer for at least 15 to 20 minutes before using it in this recipe.)
  • 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and sea salt.
  2. Scatter the vegetable shortening over the flour mixture and using either two butter knives or your hands, incorporate the shortening. Afterwards, the mixture will resemble coarse sand.
  3. Scatter the butter over the coarse flour mixture using the same method you used with the vegetable shortening. (I actually used a combination of both methods for incorporating the butter.)
  4. Sprinkle ice water over the dough one tablespoon at a time. Press the dough together with a spatula after each tablespoon. Stop adding ice water once the dough has come together.
  5. Divide the dough evenly, so that it's in two pieces. Then flatten the dough and shape it into disks. Wrap the dough disks tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate them for 1 hour.
  6. When you're ready to use the dough, remove it from the refrigerator and let it sit for approximately 10 minutes, so that it softens and is easier to roll out.

Best Ever Apple Pie
I won’t make you wait any longer.

Recipe: Best Ever Apple Pie & Recipe for a Double Pie Crust #MyMarianos #shopHere’s the recipe for the best ever apple pie:

Best Ever Apple Pie

• 3 large Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
  • 3 large Cortland or McIntosh apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten
  • 1 Double Pie Crust (see recipe above)

1. Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position and place a rimmed baking sheet on the rack. Heat the oven to 500 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, toss the apples with 3/4 cup sugar, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, sea salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set mixture aside, and prepare to roll out the double pie crust.
  3. Roll out the double pie crust on a floured surface then place the bottom crust in the pie pan.
  4. Pour the apples onto the unbaked bottom crust. Make sure the apples create a mound shape in the pie crust.
  5. Lay the top crust over the apples, then seal and crimp the edges of the crust using either your fingers or a fork.
  6. Cut 4-5 vent holes in the top of the pie crust.
  7. Brush the top crust with the beaten egg white, and then sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar over the crust.
  8. Carefully place the pie on the hot baking sheet in the oven then reduce the temperature to 425 degrees. Bake at this temperature until the top crust is golden brown. This should take 20-25 minutes. (I like to set a timer for 20 minutes and check at that point.)
  9. Once the top is golden brown, rotate the baking sheet, and turn the temperature down to 375 degrees. Bake another 30-35 minutes, until the top crust is a deep golden brown and the apple juices are bubbling.
  10. Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool before serving.

Perfect for the Holidays or Any Day
This apple pie pairs well with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, and it would be perfect to enjoy for Thanksgiving or any old day of the week. :)

Recipe for Apple Pie & Double Pie Crust #MyMarianos #shop #dessert

What’s your favorite apple recipe? What’s one of your family’s favorite Fall recipes?

More on Mariano’s

As I eluded to in my post, Mariano’s is pretty awesome. They’re so awesome that they actually had an Opera Flash Mob surprise their customers as they shopped. You can see their reaction in the video below:

Also, you can find even more great recipes and ideas from the Mariano’s Community. And you can follow Mariano’s on Facebook and Twitter for their latest updates. #MyMarianos

Print Friendly

105 Responses to “Recipe: Best Ever Apple Pie (and recipe for a double pie crust)”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Shelly says:

I don’t make apple pie often, we usually have berry when I make a pie. Your looks so good you have me wanting to make an apple pie. :) At our house our favorite apple recipe is apple crisp, I use my grandma’s recipe.

2. Alicia says:

I’m reading this at 10pm on a Monday night…’s very, very cruel:) There is no chance for me to have apple pie for at least 12 hours:) #client

3. Alex D says:

This pie looks amazing! Last time I made apple pie it definitely didn’t look/taste like yours, and the apples were absolutely terrible lol, I will try this recipe though :)

4. Looks amazing! Beautiful job!

5. Zach J says:

This is amazing! After work, I think I may just have to go home and make an apple pie!

6. Dawn Lopez says:

Oh my, your pie looks fantabulous! My mouth is totally watering right now. I am not very good at making pie.. but I am more than tempted to try your recipe!

7. Emma T says:

Hi Sandra,
    The pie really does look delicious, I’m definitely a sucker for sweet pies (apple or otherwise!) but would generally have custard with it, or cream.

I have to admit, I’m lazy and would use ready made pastry, but we do get apples off our trees, so I can be allowed that sometimes!

My favourite go to apple recipe is apple and blackberry crumble, both fruits picked off our trees or the hedgerows on the farm. It’s so quick and simple, and I tend to make more crumble topping base than needed and freeze it, so it’s even quicker.

• Sandra says:

The apple and blackberry crumble sounds so delicious, Emma! I’ll have to look for a recipe similar to what you mentioned. :)

8. Amanda says:

I am so curious…. why the baking sheet on the bottom rack? I’ve been making apple pies for ages for family holidays and am just now seeing this added “step” on MANY recipes. Can you offer any insight? Also, what does rotating the baking sheet do? I can’t wait to try these recipes for the holidays though!! :)

9. Jackie M. says:

I’ve made a lot of apple pies in my day, but I followed your recipe (pretty much) exactly and I have to say that the pie “goop” tasted awesome – it’s in the oven now, and I think it’s gonna be the star of the Thanksgiving table! Thanks for the baking times/temp changes – that’s really making for a beautiful pie! YAY! I am Spartacus!

10. Sheila says:

Anyone having problems with the pie crust? I followed instructions but when it’s time to roll dough it
    is just to soft, can’t pick it up to put in pie dish! Sandra any suggestion!!!!

Hi Sheila,

I would try flouring the counter top again and rolling it out all over. Or simply put in back into the refrigerator for another 30 minutes or so. Sorry I couldn’t answer your question sooner! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

11. Lori W says:

This recipe is incredible…..I made it for Halloween and again for Thanksgiving dinner and it got rave reviews from everyone. The pie crust is so flaky and delicious….and the apple filling is to die for. Take the time to make it… won’t be disappointed!

12. Jessica says:

Hi Sandra thank you for posting this amazing pie recipe. I am embarrassed to ask this but i have to, Im going to be baking four pies for xmas and i wont have the time to make the crust. Is there a premade crust i can buy close to yours? These will also be the first pies i have ever made. EEK please help

13. lucia says:

Really yummy!!!! Thoroughly enjoyed it and so did the family!

• Sandra says:

Yay! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know how the pie turned out, Lucia! :) I’m so glad that you and your family enjoyed it!

14. Diana says:

this is sooooooooo good i made it and loved it i just used 5 apples i like it like that .. but i like to say THANK U for sharing it so i can try it mmmmmmm

15. Brad says:

I will definitely try this recipes, but I’m going to use Jonagold apples instead. I like the way they taste, so I hope it comes out as good as yours looks. I am also trying your crust, as mine seems to comer out too dryand yours sounds like it will be more tender. Thanks.

16. Jill says:

I made the pie and it looks relish! Question though – I really don’t want to bake it until tomorrow….how would you recommend storing it?

17. Monica Chaffin says:

I am going to make this today, I don’t like pie crust. Prob because I have used the roll out kind for many years for ease. SO I am going home made and making this today. I don’t usually like tons of pie crust (don’t like the taste) so I ususlly do a dutch apple pie, but it looks yummy so gonna do the two crust. We shall see

• Sandra says:

Hi Monica! I hope your pie turned out fabulously! :) I made this pie again last week, and it was gone in less than 24 hours. Lol

I hope you have a great week!

18. rebecca says:

MMMM! Making this for my boyfriends birthday (tomorrow). I would like to get a head start and make crust tonight. Sandra, do you think I can freeze the crust overnight and still get the same result? Thanks in advance!

• Sandra says:

Hi Rebecca! I recommend making the crust today, wrapping it in plastic wrap (instructions in the recipe), and just leaving them wrapped in the refrigerator until the next day when you’re ready to use them.

That’s what I do. :) I’ll make the crust the day before, wrap it, and leave it until the next day. You do not need to roll the crust out until the day you actually make the pie.

You could freeze the crust, but I would recommend just leaving it in the fridge, if you’re planning on making the pie the next day. :)

19. Janesse Reserva says:

This pie tastes so heavenly.. I don’t really crave for pies, but this made me want to make one.. Absolutely a must try and you’ll never want to make an apple pie differently.. Thank you for this..

20. Elizabeth says:

Hi Sandra!

Your recipe sounds amazing! I am hoping to make it for my Thanksgiving dessert. I was wondering if I could do a lattice work top rather than the full dough top with this recipe. Do you think that would work out?

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

• Sandra says:

Hi Elizabeth! Yes, a lattice crust would work great for the top of this apple pie. :) I hope you and your loved ones have a Happy Thanksgiving!

21. Justine Y says:

This pie just looks so gorgeous, all piled up high with filling… I would love to include it in a round up of pies on my blog next week!

22. Taylor Griffin says:

I wish you would have indicated what size pie plate to use, especially for the novice baker.
    Will assume its a 9″ size.

23. Monica says:

I found this recipe last night and I made 2 this morning for Thanksgiving. I really don’t know if we can wait for dessert… the aromas in our house right now are amazing!! I do believe I’ve found our new “family” recipe! Thank you!!

24. Tara says:

I made this today for Thanksgiving. I made the dough discs last night and kept them wrapped in the fridge. I followed the recipe exactly. It is SO GOOD. Best apple pie we’ve ever had. Also my first time making one, a total success! Delicious with vanilla ice cream.

• Sandra says:

Hi Tara! THANK YOU so much for coming back and sharing how your apple pie turned out. :) I’m so glad your family enjoys it as much as mine does!

I hope you have a great week!

25. Heather says:

I am planning on making this tonight and then freezing it until ready to bake on Saturday. How would you adjust the baking time to bake from freezing? I cant wait to try this!

26. Dianne says:

Thank you so much for giving such easy to follow directions that I attempted this pie, it came out fantastic and I have made 4 in the last month! 2 are in the works right now, oh did I mention that I am 70 years young and this is my first ever. My husband is so grateful, Apple has always been his fav!

• Sandra says:

What a sweet comment, Dianne! I’m so glad you liked the recipe and that your husband is enjoying it, too! That makes me very happy to hear. :)

I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

27. lyndin says:

This apple pie is amazing! My grandma who is 82 is the pickiest women ever and she loved this and she said it is on of the best apple pies she has ever had! So thank you for sharing this recipe and helping me impress her!:)

• Sandra says:

Woohoo! :) I’m so glad that you and your grandma enjoyed the pie, Lyndin! And thanks for coming back and leaving such an encouraging comment. I hope you have a great week!

28. Lana says:

Hello! Would you recommend reheating this before serving? If so, for how long and what temperature? I want to bring this to a dinner party and I’m not sure if I should just bake it before hand and then take it over, or if I can reheat it for a little bit in the oven at the party.

• Sandra says:

Hi Lana! While I’ve never reheated an entire whole pie just before serving it, I DO typically heat slices individually in the microwave for about 30 seconds just before serving. This happens when we have pie leftovers from the previous day.

If you’re taking the pie to a dinner party, I recommend making it the same day – possibly that morning? – and then it’ll be good to go for the dinner party without doing any additional reheating. :) I hope this helps.

29. Alicia says:

I made this for the family yesterday and it was delicious! Thank you for the great recipe!

• Sandra says:

Yay! I’m so glad to hear that, Alicia! :) Thanks for stopping by and trying out this recipe. I hope you have a great week!

30. Deidra says:

Lady, I would kiss you on the mouth for this apple pie recipe! I’m not a huge baker, but on behalf of Pi day I made this apple pie. It was well worth the burn on my knuckle!!!

31. Shirley says:

My pie is in the oven right now, the smell that is coming from the oven has the whole house smelling like apple pie. The pie itself looks like you would find in the most expensive restaurants. Can’t wait until it cools and I can try it.

• Sandra says:

Hi Shirley! I hope your pie turned out great! :) Thank you so much for trying this recipe and stopping by my blog!

32. amanda says:

Why did my pie melt?? The edges are basically melted off?? I have made so many perfect pie and never this, do I need to freeze the pie briefly to baking??

• Sandra says:

Hi Amanda! I’m so sorry to hear that your pie melted. I’ve never experienced that happening with any pie I’ve made in the past, but maybe something was not quite right with one of the ingredients. I’m not sure. :(

You do not have to freeze the apple pie before baking it, but the butter and shortening do need to be well-chilled before using them in this recipe.

33. Gail says:

is the apple pie watery when you cut into it? I know a lot of people add tapioca pudding in the recipe to make it a little thicker, what do you think?

• Sandra says:

Hi Gail! The apple pie has a nice consistency and mine isn’t watery as long as I’ve let it cool. I’ve never tried adding tapioca pudding to the recipe, and I don’t think this recipe needs it. :)

• Gail says:

Thank you so much Sandra for responding back so quickly ☺️ I can’t wait to try your recipe, the only thing that I’m afraid of 😳 is that will eat it all in one day 😂😂😂

34. Gail says:

Sandra, how can I follow you on Pinterest? I would love to see more recipes ☺️👍👍

35. Marisa says:

Do you bake entire time on lowest racl

• Sandra says:

Hi, Marisa! Yes, you do bake the pie on the lowest rack the entire time that it’s in the oven. When the recipe says to “rotate the baking sheet,” it means to rotate the baking sheet on the same rack so that the pie bakes evenly. You will adjust the temp. a few times, though, but still keep the pie on the same rack. :)

36. Mary Alexander says:

Beautiful pie! Am wondering…I try to stay away from the standard shortening brands bc of some ingredient concerns. Do you think the Spectrum version would work just as well for the crust? It seems to have a bit different texture than the standard varieties. Has anyone ever tried it?

• Sandra says:

Hi, Mary! Thanks for your comment. I’ve never used the Spectrum version, but I just googled it, and I think it would be fine. :)

37. Renae says:

This pie looks awesome! I have a honey crisp tree. Can I use those instead of 2 different types and I love a lattice pie, I could do a lattice, right?

• Sandra says:

Hi Renae! Yes, I think honey crisp apples would work just fine, and, yes, you could do a lattice pie. :) Thanks for stopping by!

38. Ana123 says:

I used this recipe for a potluck with coworkers. The filling was great but the dough was horrible! I had the same problem as some of the others that have tried to make the dough. It was way too soft…So soft that I couldn’t even roll it out with out it sticking. I tried adding more flour and eventually got it to a thicker consistency. I baked the pie and hoped for the best. Well, after hours of hard work the pie turned out to be a goey mess! The filling was delicious but the dough made it inedible. :(

• Sandra says:

Hi Ana! I’m so sorry to hear that the dough didn’t turn out well. :( It’s very important that the butter and shortening are well chilled and that you do not continue to add ice water after you feel your dough has come together. If you do feel that your dough it too sticky, it would be a good idea to put it in the freezer or refrigerator for a few minutes before working with it again. You could also add a little more flour.

Again, I’m sorry that this recipe didn’t work out. It’s my go-to recipe when it comes to apple pie, and I use the dough recipe for any pie that I create at home. I’m planning on filming a how-to video for this recipe in the future and adding it to this post.

I hope you have a great rest of the week, Ana. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience.

39. Haley says:

LOVE this recipe so much! I found it awhile ago on Pinterest and it has been my go-to apple pie recipe ever since! I have one in the oven as I type this, and GOODNESS my house smells yummy 😉 much love and continued success to you!

40. Moogie says:

The filling worked great with a low carb pie crust I use. I use sugar substitutes and it came delicious.

41. Jeff says:

I just put the pie in the oven… nothing like using fresh picked macintosh and cortland apples here in central new york!

• Sandra says:

YUM! :) I hope it turned out great!

• Jeff says:

the filling was tasty . but after baking there was a good 3″ space between the top of the apple filling and the inside of upper crust. if i make it again i think ill try cooking the apples a little first … one of these days i will find a good pie recipe/ Ive got the crust recipe that was my grandmothers and family loves it but getting the filling just right takes time i guess. oh well.

42. Peg says:

Hi ~ Gee …. here I am ready to peel apples, pie crust sitting in the refridgerator… So thought I would check back to your site here on my IPAD!!! reading over some of the comments I SEE the pie crust sounded like it should be made the day BEFORE?? UGH !! Do I have to wait? Or… If I wait until much later the same day as I made the dough, can I also make the PIE!!??

SOUNDS LIKE CLOSING THE DOOR …. AFTER…. THE CAT ALREADY GOT OUT!! Doesn’t it!! Hope I get a reply TODAY!! Thank you in advance😍

• Sandra says:

Hi Peg! :) I almost always make the pie crust and use it the same day that I make the pie. You do not have to make the pie crust the day before. All you need to do once you’ve put the ingredients together is to put the pie crust in the refrigerator for 1 hour, then take it out and let it sit for about 10 minutes before you’re ready to roll it out and use it for your pie. I hope this helps and you enjoy a delicious apple pie!

43. Paula says:

This was my first time making an apple pie. The crust turned out excellent. The pie was good as well but the McIntosh apples turned to mush and tasted more like apple sauce. Thankfully I had used more of the Granny Smith apples which were very good. Next time I will use only Granny Smith apples. Thanks for the recipe its a keeper.

44. Clarissa says:

This pie looks so delicious it amazing I already got my Crust ready to go for tomor can’t wait to make it and try it mmmm thanks again for this recipe I’ll let u know how it turns out😊

45. Rhiannon says:

My first pie I’ve ever made! It was amazing!! So delicious and it turned out great! Thank you so much!!

46. Grace says:

I can’t wait to try this new recipe out.We love Apple Pie.Thank You

47. Kim says:

I was looking for a good Apple pie recipe and when I saw yours and read the ingredients for the filling I was so excited because it is almost exactly like my Gram’s apple crisp except she didn’t use two different kinds of apples but I am so excited to make this I am going with McIntosh since they are my favorite and the Granny Smith. I am making this for Thanksgiving but I am afraid to say I will be making two because I want to eat one before Thanksgiving! I have never made my own crust so I hope I don’t mess it up. There is nothing better than homemade pie crust, mmm! Thanks for the recipe.

48. April says:

I have used your recipe three times now and we love it. It’s delicious.. I am the designated pie person in the family now, thanks for a great recipe.

49. Tawana says:

Is it possible to substitute the apples for canned peaches? If so, will I have to alter the crust recipe?

• Sandra says:

Hi Tawana! I wouldn’t recommend substituting the apples for canned peaches. I think they’re too different and have never tried it. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. :)

50. christine says:

Hey Sandra…I tried this recipe to give the pie as a gift to my brother, b/c apple pie is his favorite. What a sensation it made! Your directions were great, and it WAS the best apple pie we have ever had. My dough was a bit soft by the time I finished rolling it also, but my dad taught me to roll dough between two pieces of waxed paper, and then lift it into the pie pan, and I had absolutely no trouble with it at all. I used all Macintosh apples, and made the round like your recipe suggested, and had no gap between apples and top crust. My dad also taught me to reserve most of the juice until after the pie was finished baking, and then pour it carefully into the little pie slits, so your bottom crust doesn’t get soggy, so I did that and it eliminates mush. THANK YOU so much, for a great pie. Hope the tips help some of your other readers.

51. Roberta says:

Hi Sandra
    I made this pie for dinner last night and I have to say … It was AMAZING! I have tried different recipes and this is the best! I used Granny Smiths and a pate brise crust.
    Thank you so much … Happy Thanksgiving!
    Roberta H

1. […] Apple Pie from The Sensible Mom […]

2. […] from The Sensible Mom Posted in: Holiday, […]

3. […] Recipe source: […]

4. […] * If you are interested in the recipes I used here are the links…Perfect Pie Crust,  Best Ever Apple Pie […]

5. […] Bake an Apple Pie. My grandma used to bake apple pies all the time and I remember slicing the apples, rolling out the […]

6. […] Here is the recipe I used for the apple pie! […]

7. […] (If you want to try it out, here is the recipe!) […]

8. […] Calixto of The Sensible Mom shares her Best Ever Apple Pie (and recipe for a double pie […]

Thanks so much for stopping by The Sensible Mom! Now join the conversation!